Friday, March 14, 2008

Dental Miracle


OK, I will update. I truth is that nothing really significant is going on in my life.

This picture doesn't have anything to do with the dentist but I snapped it the other day. I heard this little voice calling for help. It was just Mia stuck in the doll playpen. Really no surprise to me!

It is still cold and there is still snow on the ground. I am counting down the days until we go back to St. George, 2 weeks today!!! ANYWAY- Tess and Mia had their 6 month dental visit on Thursday. It was actually Mia's first "official" dentist visit. I had taken her and let her sit in the chair on one of Tess' many visits. (I don't feel at this point I need to revisit the whole dental situation with Tess.) I had actually called the dentist office before it was even time for the six month appointment because I noticed another spot on Tess' tooth, SURPRISE!!! They told me we weren't up for our six month check up yet but to wait a month so the insurance would pay 100%. So we waited and finally went yesterday. I feel like I need to insert a video of me brushing/flossing/maintaining Tess' teeth so that people will know how diligent I am about her teeth hygiene and care but I don't take video footage of myself and the 30 minute routine. Let's just say that if I took as good of my own teeth as I do Tess' you wold have to wear sunglasses when you talk to me because my teeth would glow! So back to the visit, as usual Tess had her 3 cavity diagnosis. On to Mia... she is exactly the same age as Tess when I found out the "news" about her teeth. Mia jumps up in the chair holds perfectly still and they take x-rays; she lets Dr. Moffat look in her mouth and BINGO... not even a stain or imperfection. Dr. Moffat finally says something that doesn't make me feel like I am the worst parent, "her teeth are as solid as a rock!" This is after two years of him thinking I was lieing about what I did and didn't do with my kids and their teeth. LOVE IT! The good news for Tess in now we get to add one more thing to our teeth cleaning routine, prescription toothpaste. It only cost $10.00 a tube and it is half the size of a normal tube of toothpaste. It has high levels of fluoride in it and you can only use it once a day. They have to be old enough that they can't swallow it and that is the only reason we haven't been on it before now. On the way home from Park City I told Tess I wanted her to be a dentist when she grows up so she can work on her own kids teeth!!! I think I will start putting more money into her college savings account now!

12 comments:

Jan said...

I am so glad you updated!!! I know how it is about those teeth. . . Brian has the worst teeth in the world and I just knew that one of our kids would have the same problems. And it happens to be Josh. So I feel for ya!!! But I am glad to know everyone is feeling better. We love ya and need to plan a trip to see you, but you are always going to St. George!! Is there something I should know about that place?
Jan

McNeil Family said...

Oh I love that Mia girl... isn't 3 cavities pretty good for Tess? It looks like your hard work is paying off. Maybe it is just her baby teeth that she will have problems with, maybe her adult teeth will be fine.. I'm crossing my fingers for you. P

The Gunnerson Family said...

I wish that I didn't understand exactly how you feel about Tess's teeth. I only made it to the car before I was bawling the first time I took Luke to the dentist. There must be something in our genetic that makes our children prone to weak enamel. I am happy that Mia's teeth are so good, that gives me some ray of hope for my other children.

P.S. I thought that you said that you commented on my blog, but you really didn't. You better be careful or I will wipe you off my "comment" list ;)!

Staci said...

Poor Tess... There is nothing worse then the Dentist... I'm glad that Mia's are going to be ok... I'm not looking forward to holding Sienna down to brush her teeth... Now I just give her an electric tooth brush and she thinks it's great... I'm sure that will all change.

Billie Sue said...

Oh the dentist! I wish you all had the perfect visits for your children and didn't have to go through the misery of wondering how you're going to continue to buy groceries if you have to pay the dentist bills! It seemed like we had on-going dental bills for years. That was just one of the monthly bills to pay. Good for Mia -- but I am convinced that some people's teeth are just stronger (whatever) than others. Love them all - no matter what their teeth are!

Gines Family said...

Hey glad to see that the dentist went well. We get to go this month also and Brooke get's her the appliance in the roof of her mouth out this month. The best part is no retainer is needed!

Giselle Rasheta said...

Uh...bad teeth? Just one more way that little Tess is just like me! Sadly, though Patrice has good wishes for you, I doubt her situation will get any better as her baby teeth fall out. I ALWAYS have at least 3 cavities when I go to the dentist, but they are always confused because there is no plaque on or in between my teeth. Crazy! I don't know what it is...but I'm excited to be moving only a few hours from the border! Now we will be the official stopping place for people on their way to the dentist. Woo hoo!

My only hope for my children is that Noah's teeth are like diamonds. It may be attributed to a few things: A) he leaves the toothpaste residue in his mouth after brushing (ew)... or B) MAJOR amounts of flouride in the water in Mexico. Or, more likely, his teeth are just the way they are. I'm hoping our children get his teeth and his twirpy little bones (our wrists are EXACTLY the same size).

The Richards family said...

I have to give you kudos for taking Mia in. I have taken Adddey in 2 and they just do a " quick check" mainly because she throws a fit but I have been a little disappointed they have not actually done a check. They said her teeth have looked ok but I really need to take her in and really get a official check and I am a little nervous. I guess it is about time to take Reece in too, Hopefully for a official check, I am sick of the "Quick checks" that I think I pay full price for. So who do you take your kids to?

Sophie said...

Hey thanks for updating!!! I love Mia she is sooo cute!!! (Even when she is stuck in a doll pen!!!)Have a Happy or Merry Easter!!!Love ya!!

Sophie

Kati said...

Hey! I made my blog private...and don't have any of your emails to send you invites!

So...McNiel family...
email me at
littlebitoflove76@gmail.com

so I can send you all invites. (if you want one)
Kati

The Cox Family said...

How sad! I definitely think it is a McNeil thing. I hope Cam gets my teeth and not Curtis's teeth. That is fun you guys are headed down to St. George. I was almost crying when we had to come home. It is so nice down there. Have fun!

Billie Sue said...

Okay - my activity for the day is to nag all my children who haven't updated lately! Get on the stick, Girl! Tell us what happened over the weekend!