Sunday, April 20, 2008

Spring Break '08

We had the time of our lives this last week. I don't want to complain about the weather here because I get after Tim when he does BUT I was so excited to get to Southern Utah and enjoy the sun. I left on Saturday, April 12th with the girls and we headed straight to St. George. We stopped in Hurricane to drop off the their bikes so I didn't have to keep them in the car for a few days. We stayed in St. George at a hotel since the H.J. (not Howard but Hotel Johnson) had no vacancy. It was great for the girls and I to spend time together in a hotel and swimming in the pool. I could not believe the weather on Sunday and Monday. All I did was sit by the pool or in the park or in Chelsea's driveway soaking up the sun. The girls were more than anxious to get on their bikes and go. To ease Chelsea's fear on children getting injured on any wheeled device, I bought the girls helmets. I just want to add that none of the six children that my mom and dad successfully raised ever wore helmets as we rode up and down the main highway in Woodland. So I had to call my own kids safety geeks!!!



My addiction to the sun came out in full force. It was like I couldn't get enough and I wanted more and more and more. Tim came down Tuesday night and and brought a little of the Northern Utah glum with him. We couldn't go outside due to the "Hurricane" force winds so we opted for the Sand Hallow Aquatics Center. The water was ice cold and we only lasted about 45 minutes. I think this was the first experience of our test drive of four kids. (We had Jack with us) Tess started calling him her brother. It wasn't hard for me to handle four kids the real truth of it was that it was hard for Mia. She all of a sudden turned into needy little helpless baby.




Tim and the two older girls went on a four-wheeling excursion Thursday morning. I stayed home with Jack and Mia. By noon I was bored and so I put them in the car to head to Seagull Book. I thought I was capable of taking the two of them on a SMALL outing. Mia proved me wrong. To her credit she did fall asleep in the car and I had to wake her up. It was a very short experience and we headed back for La Verkin. This was the point I realized three is my magic number. Friday brought more riding and more sun. We went to a pool in Hurricane to cool off. The best part of the day however came with our night trip to Springdale. It is at the bottom part of Zion's Canyon. We went to a great pizza and noodle company. Followed by a round of ice cream!!




We knew Saturday was going to be our last chance to experience the amazing atmosphere so we planned a trip to Red Cliffs. Olivia and Dad were to meet us there on their way back from Mexico/Blythe/Las Vegas. Once we turned off and headed through Leeds, my heart started pounding. This was the place that many of my friends and I climbed, explored, but mostly just sun bathed for year while I was attending SUU. The warmth of the red rocks and the beauty they behold brought tears to my eyes. I was explaining to the girls this was one of my favorite places to go and they looked at me like I was from another planet. Like when the dinosaurs were on the earth. Dad was the only one who came to my rescue and told me he remembered seeing many pictures of me on these rocks. (OK- back from that trip down memory lane) The minute the kids got out of the car we could not stop them from their explorations. I thought it was great for Grandpa to be there to witness the genes in full force. No one could stop Mia and Noah from thinking they should climb higher or run faster. We made to the drainage pool where we all waded and played. It was just the perfect ending to a perfect Spring Break.

Thanks to Max and Chelsea for letting us once again take over their house and child. We really wanted to bring him home with us but apparently his parents like him too. I am not sure if we can top this vacation?!?!

7 comments:

Robbin said...

I keep trying to talk my sister into moving to St. george but I think she thinks I'm rude for trying to get her to leave town! It's just not as fun to vacation in Salem as it would be in southern Utah. As always, it looks like you had a blast. I hope our vacation goes as good as yours did. Wish us luck! It's our first real, bit, family vacation.

The Richards family said...

Well if you ever want a vacation with lots of rain you can come visit me this summer/ fall!! You sound like a great house guest and visiting partner so I am sure you host do not mind you vacationing with them. It looks like you and the kids really did have fun!! I do have to ask if it can top the D.R. trip you took without kids. I quess you can not compare the two since it is always priceless to go some where with the kids!! ( but I AM planning one of those by yourself ones someday too!!!)

The Gunnerson Family said...

Yeah, sun! It is a lot of work to take all the kids out for a week, but worth it. As for sticking with just three kids, you would have 9 LONG months to prepare Mia, and then you would have a baby, not a 6 month old. So, things can work out. At least that is what I am telling myself about having this baby. I was wondering when you started making your girls wear bike helmets, now I understand. I am afraid to say that is one safety rule I will probably not keep!

Chelsea Johnson said...

I'm not sure if it was the clean house, the cookies, the dinners, or the free babysitting that we enjoyed the most! We honestly loved having you guys here and can't wait for the next big adventure! The girls are so great wtih Jack, and he totally loves and misses them. We love you and were glad you were willing to share your spring break with us!

Jan said...

I am really quite jealous of the sunburns!!! You can always top that vacation by coming to Boise. . . we have fun stuff here to ya know!!! I want my house to be clean and full of cookies!!! :)

Kath said...

I check your blog once in a while and can't get over how pretty your girls are! BTW I am making my blog private, if you want an invite, email me at dizzy.fish@hotmail.com. Thanks! Kathryn

Team Bryan said...

You know, Idaho Falls is beautiful this time of year...and we miss you all like crazy!! Come on up. I will buy you some tanning passes and we are practically St. George!! Looks like lots of fun there!! You are always going somewhere fabulous!! Thanks a whole lot!! Do I look a couple shades of green, or what!!

Good to see you this week, Tim and Mia!! Sorry about the shampooed carpet and no place to sit!!

We love you all, very much!!